OLRG LOGO
Over Land Rover Group
Rogered Rover - Part 13 - August 2008

News

Introduction

Contact

Pub Meets

Calendar

Gallery

Off Road

Rogered Rover

Adverts

Links

Prev Contents Next

The seat box & all it’s associated brackets (set belt mounts), handbrake linkage components & sills were cleaned & painted as necessary.

The cab side of the rear bulkhead was also painted.

The seat box was lifted into place, bolted to the rear bulkhead & resting on the chassis brackets.

The sills were then fitted & when I was satisfied that the sills were square to the A & B posts, I drilled a hole through the seat box/B post/sill for future location.

The floor panels & transmission tunnel were also trial fitted at this point – I have cut the transmission tunnel in half lengthways to make future removal/replacement easier.

At this point I also looked at the mounting of the handbrake, exhaust shield & overdrive linkage before removing the seat box to enable the mounting of the above.

I decided that the overdrive linkage could be easily modified. The operating rod could be extended & the front bracket could be mounted onto the gearbox with some angle.


Original Overdrive


Modified Overdrive

The RR exhaust shield was modified by removing the original rear vertical mounting bracket & replacing it with a joggled, horizontal one, that will fit onto the silencer mounting. 2 cupboard-mounting brackets will attach the front to the new cross member.

One of the handbrake links fouled the bottom of the cut out in the seat box; so new holes were drilled to alter the angle of the link. Although this has reduced the mechanical advantage, the handbrake still works fine.

The hi-lo lever also needs modding, but I’m not certain of the final design, so it was chopped off close the transfer box to await future deliberations.

The above modifications having been carried out, the usual application of paint followed & then the exhaust shield, overdrive linkage, handbrake assembly & seat box were bolted into place.


Seat Box Installed

With the seat box now in place it was possible to look at mounting the handbrake warning light switch, & this was easily accomplished by modifying the original Rangie bracket & mounting it in a suitable place.

I had planned to make storage compartments on top of the wheel boxes in between the 2 bulkheads, this was achieved using more bits of the scrap 90 tub, aluminium angle & more pop rivets.

The gas tank was then lifted into the area between these compartments, & the position for exit/entry holes for the gas pipes marked.

The tank was removed, holes drilled, sleeves for the pipes fitted & the tank lifted back into place & fixed.


L.P.G Tank

The LPG cut off valve was mounted under the O/S front wing utilising one of the brake master cylinder fixings, & then a piece of pipe recovered from my old Rangie was connected to this & routed along the chassis & up into the gas tank compartment.

The battery was fitted into the seat box & the cables routed & connected.

Next on the agenda was to modify the rear wheel arches, or basically get them in the correct position relative to the wheels!

I measured another 110, then offered the wings from the scrap 90 tub up to the 110 tub in the appropriate position & marked the new position of the front of the arch on to the 110 tub & removed the unwanted metal.


90 Wing clamped in new arch position


Removing unwanted metal

The 90 wing was then trimmed appropriately, positioned inside the 110 wing & glued & riveted in place.


Bodge Panel


Bodge Panel riveted in position

The bits removed from the front of the 110 wheel arch areas were then riveted to the rear half of the 90 panels to bring that area flush with the existing 110 tub.


Filler Plate fitted

The bottoms of the rear wings were a bit naff, so these were removed & a piece of angle riveted in position to tidy things up.

A little filler tidied things up, & then the tub was painted.

At the same time I painted the front offside wing (the nearside needs modifying for the heater intake).

The top cappings were then prepared, painted silver & riveted in place along with tailgate latches & the all-important Land Rover Oval.

Having painted the wing, I decided it would be a good idea to protect it (it makes a useful bench), so the original checker plating was refitted.

The windscreen assembly was the next item to receive attention.

As I cleaned it, I noticed a dent in the top rail just above the central bar.

It looks like this has collided with the wheel-locating stud on the bonnet at some point.

Further examination revealed the frame was bent. I removed the glass & attacked the frame with a sledgehammer, & it was soon within Land rover tolerance.

A new seal was fitted to the bulkhead, & then the windscreen frame was fitted using the series windscreen brackets that had been removed from the series bulkhead & modified many moons ago.

I measured the angle of a door top & adjusted the windscreen frame to the same angle.

I then polished & fitted a headlamp surround.

Starting to look like a Landie!


Prev Contents Next