OLRG LOGO
Over Land Rover Group
Rogered Rover - Part 14 - May 2009

News

Introduction

Contact

Pub Meets

Calendar

Gallery

Off Road

Rogered Rover

Adverts

Links

Prev Contents Next

After careful measurement, the LWB hardtop was cut into two. Spot welds & rivets were removed to separate the roof panels. These were then repositioned & riveted into their new positions. The cab was then trial fitted.

At the LRO show I bought, amongst other things, a reversing & rear fog light, & these were duly fitted.

Rear corner cappings were now riveted on, also reflectors & seat box latches.

The glass was removed from the rear door, which then was the next item to be chopped into two. It was then held in position by the top hinge while I manufactured a bracket to hold the bottom edge in place. Two tapped holes in the bottom of the door provided convenient fixings.

A trip to a Landie jumble provided upper seat belt brackets ( the ones that came with the hardtop had been butchered) & about 10 yards of universal door seal.

Various parts such as rear lights & load bay rubbing strips (suitably shortened) were now fitted.

I had saved an article from an old mag about a company that sold insulating/roof lining kits for 90/110s. This consisted of a sheet of 15mm foam + roll of brushed nylon & adhesive. The company was no longer able to supply kits, but I sourced the materials from Woolies of Market Deeping, & on the same trip went to Nene Overland & bought some front seats.

I wanted to fit a shelf in the rear of the roof & a console in the front centre, so I made a frame for these with some anodised angle.

I then removed this assembly, & started on the roof lining.

The rear panel & rear half of the roof were quite simple, but the front proved difficult.

The sharp radius at the front caused creasing, but scoring the foam allowed it to form a tight radius with the minimum of creasing in the brushed nylon.

Holes were cut in the cab side panels for windows, & then these & the roof were painted.

New seals were fitted to the windscreen frame & the sills, & the windscreen glass was fitted.

The shelf frame was now refitted to the roof & a shelf made from a piece of plywood that previously had been used for my grandson's "Thomas the Tank Engine" track.

The cab sides were fitted with new seals & positioned on the tub, but on tightening the fixings I found that the front edges twisted inwards when trying to compress the new seals. Dexion was used to brace the sides in the correct position while they were tightened down.

The driver"s seat was also fitted.

I hung the roof from the carport using ratchet straps, then lowered it onto the Landie & bolted it in position.

As it is now too tall to go into the garage the next task is to make it secure & weatherproof.


Prev Contents Next