OLRG LOGO
Over Land Rover Group
Rogered Rover - Part 15 - October 2009

News

Introduction

Contact

Pub Meets

Calendar

Gallery

Off Road

Rogered Rover

Adverts

Links

Prev Contents Next

Now the hybrid was outside the next step was to fit doors & windows so that the neighbour cats didn't sleep in it.

The original (green & rusty) doors & tops were fitted, & considering how this vehicle has been built, the gaps are incredibly good.

I then contacted "Town & Country Windscreens" who duly came & glazed the cab.

The rear door ( top half ) & 'B' post covers were then prepared & painted, the door was then glazed & subsequently fitted.

I had assumed that as the door originally had a hinge top & bottom plus the lock to hold it into position, that two bolts at the bottom & the top hinge would be O.K., but in fact it needed another fixing on the nearside top to pull it in square.

A large self-tapping screw through the door into the aluminium frame of the roof shelf did the trick!

Only cat access now thro the floor!

On fitting the 'B' post covers, I couldn't line up the door seal flanges with those on the tub.

I used a ratchet strap to pull them into position, but they just moved back.

Something was wrong with the attachment of the roof to the tub in the 'B' post area.

Another trip to ECCV, James looked up the Series archives & found that I was missing stepped rubber washers.

These fitted, I was able to get the seal flanges in line.

I had used the top of an old home made coffee table to cover the LPG tank compartment, & this was now edged with skirting board to give it rigidity & a lip to stop stuff sliding off.

After staining & covering with floor tiles donated by Dave B, this was fitted into position.

The original door seal top angles that came with the roof had been modified badly, probably to take defender door seals, so 2 new ones were made from the last 2 straight bits of green house angle I had left.

These were duly fitted, & then door seals were fitted, using the roll of 'universal' door seal I had bought at a landyjumble.

This worked well.

This means that in theory, the vehicle is weatherproof, although it will remain under the carport until it's finished.

Next to be fitted was the nearside floor panel, but some of the screws didn't appear long enough, but another trip to ECCV sorted that.

Before I could fit the transmission tunnel, I needed to sort out a few other things.

First on the agenda was mounting the diff lock switch.

Rummaging through my assortment of metal off cuts, I found a piece that looked suitable, & with a bit of bending, drilling, & tapping, this formed a suitable bracket to mount the switch so that it lined up with the hilo lever hole in the defender gearlever gaiter.

This bracket was then painted & fitted & the switch fitted & reconnected.

I wasn't happy with my original attempt at repositioning the hilo lever, so I made a new sleeve with a bend in it to join the shortened lever to its original pivot.

This made a reasonable clearance between the lever & the floor.

A hole was cut in the transmission tunnel to clear the lever & allow for movement.

Similarly, a small pilot hole in the overdrive lever position was then enlarged.

Gaiters were then made from old gaiters from various vehicles.

The transmission tunnel & offside floor were now fitted.

I will have to replace the transmission tunnel at some point, as the one I have fitted is a bit naff with broken flanges where it attaches to the floor.

Also, the overdrive gaiter could be improved, but overall the finished result is quite pleasing, with the various levers fairly ergonomically positioned.

It was now possible to fit the foot well mats, trim, & courtesy light switches.

I know the original series doesn't have courtesy lights, but my defender bulkhead has.

I will have to add something to the series door to operate the switch.

Testing the circuit, it didn't work.

Investigation revealed that the wire to go to the light was a different colour to that which goes to the switch.

Looking through the numerous sheets of circuit diagram revealed that the circuit is normally connected to the ECU to control delay circuit etc.

This will have to wait until after the M.O.T. to be sorted.

The passenger seat was now fitted.

Having more or less finished the rear & middle of the vehicle it was now time to focus my attention on the front ...


Prev Contents Next